NEW ORLEANS MOBILE FOOD VENDING LAWS
The following is a list of the laws that mobile food vendors must abide by in New Orleans. Each city and parish in Louisiana has different laws and ordinances, and the following are for New Orleans, Orleans Parish only.
For some of these ordinances, indicated by asterisks*, it is unclear whether all mobile food vendors must adhere to the rules or only produce and seafood vendors, given the confusing structure and language of the laws.
We are working with the New Orleans Food Truck Coalition to collaborate with the City Council on revising the laws to make them more streamlined and food truck friendly. You can support our efforts HERE
New Orleans Mobile Food Vending Rules and Regulations: (those with asterisks * are are unclear laws. Please contact the City of New Orleans for clarification). A link to the Laws and Ordinances can be found here.
- There are only 100 mobile food vendor permits in circulation at any given time. The City of New Orleans issues permits annually on February 1st. Permitted vendors have an opportunity to renew their permits each year, so the only newly available permits are those that are not renewed by preexisting permit holders.*
- Mobile food vendors are not allowed to park in any given spot for more than 45 minutes in a single day.*
- Mobile food vendors cannot park within 600 feet of a restaurant or school.*
- Mobile food vendors cannot park in the French Quarter or Central Business District, bound by Claiborne to the north, Esplanade to the east, the River to the south, and Howard to the east.
- Mobile food vendors can only operate between the hours of 7 AM and 7 PM.*
- The size of a mobile food vendor’s sign/menu cannot exceed 6 square feet.*
- During Jazz Fest, mobile food vendors cannot park in the area of the Fair Grounds, bound by Florida Avenue to the north, North Broad to the east, Esplanade to the south, and Bayou St. John to the west.
- During Mardi Gras, there is a separate permitting process, with designated spots along the parade route that are determined based on a lottery.